All vessel handling services are provided by the Port Authority. The Harbour Master has oversight of nautical operations within the port. This comprises of operational tasks related to the safety and efficiency of vessel management within the boundaries of the port. The Harbour Master’s office allocates berths and coordinates all services necessary to berth and un-berth a vessel. These services include Pilotage, Towage, Mooring and Unmooring, and Vessel Traffic Services (VTS).
Stevedoring services are provided by the Port Authority and Twenty-two (22) private stevedoring companies. GPHA controls 25% of all stevedoring. The remaining 75% is performed by the following private companies:
Shore handling (receipt, storage and delivery services) are provided by Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority and Four (4) others. They undertake shore handling services for non-containerized cargo, excluding dry, liquid bulk and vehicles. In addition, there are Inland Clearance Depots that offer receipt and delivery services for containers and vehicles. These are:
- Golden Jubilee Terminal (GPHA)
- Tema Bonded Terminal (PRIVATE)
- Atlas Manufacturing and Engineering Services (PRIVATE)
- Safebond Car Terminal (PRIVATE)
- Amaris Export Terminal(PRIVATE)
Waste Reception Services
Waste reception services in GPHA’s ports are provided by Six (6) private operators
- Ecostar Environmental Service
- Glas Brown Company Limited
- Tillbury Environmental Group
- Jokjim Company Limited
- A. Wahabii Environmental Group
- Timax Development Enterprise
GHANA REVENUE AUTHORITY-CUSTOMS DIVISION
The Ghana Revenue Authority(GRA) is a semi-autonomous public institution established by law as a body corporate, to replace Customs Excise and Preventive Service (CEPS), Internal Revenue Service(IRS), Value Added Tax Service (VATS) and the Revenue Agencies Governing Board secretariat (RAGB) for the administration of taxes and customs duties.
Trade Hub Services
Resources for planning of import and export activities can be found on the Ghana Trade Hub's information Centre. These information resources include:
- Duty rate calculator
- Used vehicle duty calculator
- Import classification tool and procedures
- Export classification tool and procedures
Please visit their website for more information www.ghanastradinghub.gov.gh
Bunkering and Ship Chandlery Services
Bunkering services are available either in port, at anchorage or offshore. This service is provided by the Aegean Bunkering Services Ltd. There are also competitive ship chandlery services providing vessel’s stores requirements.
Storage and Warehousing Services
Tema Port has 77200m2 of paved area for the storage of containers, steel products and other conventional cargo. The closed storage area, which is about 25,049m2 (2.51 hectares), consists of six (6) sheds with a total storage capacity of 53,000 tonnes of cargo. There are various private storage and warehousing facilities located around the port, within the port city and beyond. Click here for contact details.
Ship Repair Services
Drydock and slipway facilities are available in Tema Port. The Tema Shipyard is one of the largest shipyards and dry-docks on the African Continent. Strategically located on 48.45 acres of land in the Centre of the West African sub-region, it is situated adjacent the Commercial Port of Tema, Ghana, The Shipyard has two (2) graving docks of 100,000 dwt capacity and provides dry docking services, lay berths and fitting out quay’s and preservation works. Please click the link below for more information.
Dock Labour Services
There are two privately run Dock Labour Companies responsible for providing labour to stevedoring companies and port operators. These are Ghana Dock Labour Company and Maritime Labour Services
Safety and Security Operations
The Fire and Safety department is responsible for monitoring hot works as well as inspection of all fire related equipment, maintenance of safety standards and the IMDG code in the port. Tema Port has been ISPS compliant since July, 2004 and is operating at MARSEC level 1. All port installations are manned by 24 hour CCTV surveillance plus professionally trained security personnel who monitor all port zones including entrance and exit gates on 24 hour basis.
Ghana Community Network (GCNet)
The Ghana Community Network (GCNet) is an Electronic Data Interchange system for the clearance of goods administered by Ghana Revenue Authority, Customs Division. The GCNet helps in facilitating the clearing of cargo from the ports, minimizes malfeasance in tax payment and collection, provides a complete audit trail on import and export transactions and provides the tools for sending electronic import and export declarations throughout the day. For more details, visit their websit; www.ghanatradenet.com