The Port of Takoradi: Facilitating trade, creating business opportunities.
WHO WE ARE:
To be a world-class Port, the dominant oil & gas services hub of West Africa
Effectively employ our values and assets to provide quality services to all port users in a sustainable way.
- Commitment to Employees - We recognize our employees as our greatest asset and key to our success; providing them a challenging and rewarding employment in a safe, healthy and congenial work environment.
- Customer Focus- Our commitment to customers is unwavering. We always strive to deliver best value service that delight our customers.
- Teamwork - Within our corporate family, we establish bonds of respect and mutual support, building strategic partnerships with our concessionaires and licensees; and utilizing our collective skills, knowledge and experiences to achieve our strategic goals.
- Technology - We employ cutting-edge technology and innovation to improve performance; conducting our business in a manner that protects the environment and values the economic and social well-being of the community.
- Integrity - We uphold ethical conduct, transparency and accountability in all our business dealings. We act at all times with honesty, integrity and in a manner that promotes public trust and confidence.
Port of Takoradi, Ghana’s premiere Port was commissioned for business in 1928 to facilitate Ghana’s international trade. The Port is strategically located on latitude 4°532’north, 1°345’west and is 225km west of Accra, the capital city of Ghana. The strategic location of the Port makes it a very cost effective route to and from Europe, America and Asia. It is positioned to service the northern hinterland of Ghana and the international trade of the three Sahelian landlocked economies of Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger. In 2019, the Port handled 38% of Ghana’s seaborne traffic, 75% of Ghana’s seaborne exports and 17% of Ghana’s seaborne imports. Major commodities handled through the Port are manganese, bauxite, clinker, wheat, bulk and bagged cocoa, quicklime, contanerised cargo, equipment for the mining and oil/gas industry.
Traffic through the Port is facilitated by leading shipping lines like Maersk, MSC, Grimaldi, Delmas, and CMA CGM which have extended the trading influence of our clients globally. The Port’s wide range of equipment stock, with the support of the private sector offers a range of services to facilitate the efficient and cost effective delivery to clients.
The Port of Takoradi, since the discovery of oil in commercial quantities in 2007 about 70 nautical miles from the Port, has contributed significantly to Ghana’s economy and continues to be the main strategic logistics support base for the offshore exploration and production of oil/gas in Ghana and beyond. Indeed, vessels calls have increased from 600 (annually pre oil discovery) to 1628 calls in 2019. Offshore supply vessels calls increased from 11% in 2007 to 60% in 2019.